Saturday, 4 October 2014

Fireman Sam Quilt finally finished

I know it as been awhile, if you are just checking out my blog for the first time, the start of this project was a few months ago. If you look back on my blog you will see the start of the creation of this project.
Laying out the piece's as I make them. No actual design I tend to make up the design as I go along. I know this is the incorrect way but I don't have a stash of material, so I tend to use what I have to get started then attempt to create a quilt. All the panels with pictures were coloured with pencils and sealed, them I stitched around edges in back stitch, which helped the pictures to stand out.
trying to add the large fireman Sam 

Here I'm adding the white boarders separating the panels 

This is the bottom row of panels finished and ready to have the white boarders attached

Dining table coming in very handy, trying to visualise the layout of the quilt.
White boarders added to panels. The worst thing about making up the design as I go, is trying to work out the exact measurements. But I can say it was fun in the making, especially when the quilt started to come together.

Here I have added the white boarders and attached the strips together

This is where I got stuck and had to sit and just look and try and add the large panel, making it look like it belonged.

As you can see I managed to add the large fireman Sam to the quilt top, along with side panels. Getting it centred and the side panels to fit was a feat, it took me ages to work out the measurements. But overall I was quite pleased with the outcome.

The next step was to add the boarders of red dot and black dot. I really think the quilt top came up a treat, even if I do say so my self.
You can see a blank square block on the first row, this I embroidered Lennon's name and date of birth. Sorry I forgot to take a photo.

Next I have the quilt on my sewing machine where I sewed around each block and fireman Sam.


Here I'm just showing the backing material I used. I love the dots, plus I thought it was a good piece of material where any mistakes would not stand out. Especially when I did the free motion quilting.

I thought I would show you the extended table top my lovely husband David made me.

As you can see, the table top interlocks with the sewing machines table top. Giving me a larger area where the quilt lies flat and easier to mauver along table. He varnished the top so the quilt slides easily.

This is my long arm my lovely husband made me. I am so spoilt, David is always trying to help me with making items to make my sewing easier.
I quilted all the white area and boarders. This made the coloured panels stand out.

Here I hope you can see a full view of the long arm, it can take a 3metre quilt.

Well I'm very sorry but I forgot to take a photo of the finished quilt. I was in a hurry and had to get it posted off to the UK and didn't realise I'd missed taking the photo. I can tell you I was very pleased with the outcome and Lennon was a very happy little boy, he loved it.


  1. Your Fireman Sam quilt looks fabulous. Hugs,xx

  2. Having seen it for real I can attest to how great Fireman Sam turned out!

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Great work Michelle, it's just perfect for a little boy.

  5. Amazing work i like this work very much thank you for share this information. this is is too good making.
    custom essay writing service